Sunday, January 31, 2010

The top Xbox 360 games of 2010...so far

It's pretty much known that I play almost every game that comes out. The good, the bad, and the really disgusting. I will update through-out the year on the best games of 2010. This will only be games released within the calendar year of 2010 in the USA. I will break it down into categories I see fit once the list starts expanding. In my estimation, this will be the best year for the 360 gamer.

Best Games: (so far)

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Darksiders
3. Bayonetta
4. Army of Two: The 40th day
5. Dark Void


Not only is Mass Effect 2 the best single player experience on the Xbox 360, it is also one of the greatest games ever made. The best single player game I have played in my adult life. The game is remarkable and truly a masterpiece in every way imaginable. If you even remotely enjoyed the first, you will love ME2. Bioware is on the cusp of making video games into feature movies. If your friends are bugging you while playing it, you may say this to them," stop sending me messages, I'm watching my movie." It sucked me in like no other game has. I have been saying for years that DICE will make the greatest game known to man. I think Bioware will now do it and Mass Effect 3 could be THAT game. Until then, pray nightly that new DLC graces our beloved Cerberus network the following day.

Expectations: I held them in check. I knew this game was going to be good. I was thinking top 5 or 10 on the 360.

Meet or Beat Expectations: Beat. THE best single player game in years.

Estimation of how long you're looking at for the 1,000 points: 40-45 hours

Darksiders doesn't get the originality points. It's just fun, pure fun. It reminds me a lot of Zelda. Ultimately, that's what I loved about it. It brought me back to 1998. While not quite as good as Zelda by any stretch, it had me from the start. By the time it was over, I didn't want it to end.

Expectations: None

Meet or Beat Expectations: Beat. Came out of left field and sucked me in.

Estimation of how long you're looking at for the 1,000 points: 20 hours

I would say Bayonetta is a masterpiece of artistic quality and originality. I did not like the game at first, in fact, I hated it. It was cheesy and corny to the highest level. The music is elevator-ish. I said to myself, "the main characters legs are too long and she sucks." Yes, I was nitpicking the game to death. It was a few hours into the game when I realized I haven't seen video game art like this in a while. The pacing and the flow of the game kept me on my toes. Huge boss battles, over the top everything. Redunkulous! I must of said, " This game is Redunkulous!" 20 or more times. My girlfriend and cat wanted to disown me at that point.

Expectations: To be a decent game. I wasn't aware of the developer roots at the time.

Meet or Beat Expectations: Beat. It took some time but this game rocked my world.

Estimation of how long you're looking at for the 1,000 points: 20-25 hours

Army of Two: The 40th day. Let's deal with the good. Coop and stomping on fools heads. The extraction mode is pretty fun as well. Coop deathmatch CAN be fun, but the lag kills that. Saving the hostages is stupid, the moral choices are stupid. The story is...well, it didn't even have one! The lack of customizable guns in the multiplayer is mind boggling. A decent game for blowing crap up with a buddy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Expectations: As good as the first

Meet or Beat Expectations: Met. And just by the hair of its chinny chin chin.

Estimation of how long you're looking at for the 1,000 points: 20 hours

Dark Void is like a 2 dollar hooker. It gets the job done, only very sloppily. Not that I would know how a 2 dollar hooker gets down. I've just been told that's how it is. This game could have been great. Instead, it turned into a MEH game. There was nothing terribly wrong with it, but nothing good enough to write home about. Trust me on this, Dark Void will not stay at the bottom of this list. Average game, so don't expect too much and you may get some enjoyment out of it.

Expectations: Low

Meet or beat Expectations: Met. They were very low.

Estimation of how long you're looking at for the 1,000 points: 12 hours

I would say we are still on track for the greatest year for the 360.

Can anything top Mass Effect 2?

How would your list go so far?


7 comments:

  1. It's great to see you putting in a substantial amount of effort to get your opinion of 2010 games across to others, I for one appreciate you doing so. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Great list. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think Halo Reach will beat everything because it's Bungies last Halo game and they wanna end it awesome.

    Games I think will be awesome for me is Alan Wake, Metro 2033 and Bad Company 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man, I've read your blog for awhile. People can say what they want, but it takes dedication and patience to play games how you do (my gamerscore is 84k... I do my best haha). I always find it interesting to see your opinions on various games because you play so many. I actually write for a game site, so naturally it's always nice to read others opinions.

    Most of the time I don't agree with your picks, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate them.

    My list?

    So far nothing has really hooked me. I actually really enjoyed Army of Two: The 40th Day, but man is it glitchy as hell. When it works, it's awesome. I'm glad they left out story. Great co-op.

    Darksiders is alright. I really disliked how generic it was at first, but the more I progress the more it hooks me. This will most likely sit at the top of my list for now.

    Mass Effect 2 I'm on the fence about. I hated the first one, but then found Dragon Age to be pretty good. It being more of a shooter is enticing, and now that Splinter Cell is pushed back I'll probably use my after Bioshock 2 time for it.

    I think Bad Company 2 is going to be the best game of at least the first half of the year. Even if the campaign is weak, the multiplayer is going to be amazing. FFXIII and Splinter Cell are up there on the anticipation list.

    I play all systems, though, and I'd have to say that Heavy Rain and Pokemon have my attention as well.

    I think Bioshock 2 will be the biggest disappoint of this generation.

    Sorry I wrote a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hola a todos, les mando saludos desde latinoamerica, recien comienzo mi vida de casado con mi xbox 360, no tengo ni 10.000 puntos y solo un juego 1000|1000 assassins creed 2, pero bueno eso no significa que no juegue de forma hardcore. me parece muy bueno el reto que stallion se puso a si mismo, aguante os games. paz a todos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dragon Age: Origins?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time for a top 2010 list update, don't you think?

    Looks like Section 8 hasn't got you hooked.

    GT: Trikke den 1e

    ReplyDelete