Sunday, November 9, 2008

Might as well face it, you're addicted to Gears.

All I want to do at this moment in time is play Gears. I dream about Gears, I wake up and eat my Gears of War cereal, and drink my coffee out of a Gears of War mug. I even play with my Gears of War action figures in the bathtub.

Gears 2 is so much better than the first. The c0-op campaign is perfect in my honest opinion. The amount of stuff going on is something I have never seen before in a video game. I'm already itching to go back and play it on insane. I did it on hardcore first and that was fairly easy. It lived up to bigger, badder and more bad ass tag line and then some.

On the multi player side gears 2 trumps gears 1 in every single way. Matchmaking is fast and I like the way the voting system is handled. All of the modes are fun, and the maps are all good too. The host advantage that plagued Gears 1 seems to be nonexistent. All or most of the issues from the first have been taking care of. I do have a couple of complaints about the multi player though. Getting tossed to the floor by smoke grenades is just stupid. Do no like, do not want. Chainsaw duels are decided by who mashes the B button the fastest. I don't like that either, isn't there a better way? I hate getting chainsawed when I clearly shoot someone in the face with the shotgun. I thought that was suppose to stop a chainsaw nub cookie in his tracks? Last, they need an easy mute feature or voice option for team only voice. I shouldn't have to be ear raped when I play public matches. If they take the chainsaw out of gears, the game would be a lot better. It's cool for single player, but gimps the multi player balance. Private matches without chainsaws is the future of gears or a chainsaw free play list. I would be all over that.

Horde mode is very fun also. I can see myself playing that on the different difficulties over the next couple of months.

Gears 2 is by far the best game I have played it a long time. It has to be one of the best games I have ever played. At least top 10.

3 comments:

  1. Matchmaking takes at least 20 minutes for me, and thats with a party of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like GoW 2 but i think the first one is better for online play. The first fucked me out of 200 odd GamerScore so i gave up.

    I peronally think the match making is shit, i just wanna play warzone on sunway none of this king of the hill shite.

    It could easily be improved esp the chainsaws taken out and the smoke.

    Overall id give it 8.5/10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gears of War (1 & 2) has some problems. The colors are mostly dull gray and the buildings and furniture look basically the same everywhere. Playability is like moving snails in mud compared to COD, GRAW, GTA, Halo, L4D and Saints Row. The developers know nothing about intuitivity, because you are supposed to use the same A button for getting into cover, jumping over obstacles and for running. And when you press the A button too often your dude doesn't understand to get into cover, but instead he runs to the middle of the street to get shot by everyone. If there is an obstacle on the ground, first you need to press the A button to get behind it and then you need to press the A button again to get over it, which makes no sense. In multiplayer matches Lancer, Hammerburst and pistols are useless, so you need to get and shoot with a shotgun or use a chainsaw. So there are no other strategies you can use except the stupid one that wouldn't work in COD or Halo: run towards your enemy behind a cover and shoot or chainsaw him and hope you have faster reactions and less lagging connection than he does.

    ReplyDelete